Thursday, May 12, 2016

Week Three: Readers' Services Conversation

Conversation #1: The reader who loved Eat, Pray, Love.

This reader mentioned that s/he liked the "inner thoughts" expressed in the writing. S/he also said that s/he admired for embarking on a life-changing journey. I recommended Eat Pray Love Made Me Do It: Life Journeys Inspired by the Bestselling Memoir, edited by Elizabeth Gilbert.



















Conversation #2: The reader who thirsted for vampire novels

This reader didn't like the Twilight books because of the "angst," which made me think that s/he wanted a more adult vampire story. From my personal reading history, I would recommend Dracula by Bram Stoker

and 'Salems Lot by Stephen King, two classic vampire tales in the horror vein. Interview with the Vampire by Anne Rice mixes horror and romance but is written for adult readers.

Conversation #3   The reader who wants to be amazed by Amazonian true-life adventures


Two read alikes came to mind: The Lost City of Z by David Grann and King Leopold's Ghost by Adam Hochschild.














These read alikes are similar to the book that the reader had enjoyed.

I used my memory and the Internet to find similar books for all three readers. It was pretty easy to find titles that I think that these three readers may like, but in real life, I am sure this would be more of a challenge. But, as the article states, it's more important to get the conversation started.


1 comment:

  1. Okay, you sold me on King Leopold's ghost. I'm adding that one to my list as we speak(?)...or blog, I guess.

    ReplyDelete