Sunday, May 29, 2016

Week Five: Building base knowledge Part II, Assignments 1-3

Assignments 1-2: Ok, I am so used to checking the sites and blogs that I have come to rely on over the years that I have not checked out EarlyWord or any of the other blogs/sites mentioned in week one. The one exception is Goodreads. The other sites I check out are Library Thing, NYT book reviews, Facebook pages, and various blogs. Library Thing provides its users with free copies of books if the recipient agrees to write a review of it. I also check Amazon bestsellers, as well.

What is popular at my branch? DVDs,

and urban fiction.

I've helped customers in selecting DVDs, and occasionally, with a reference question, but I have not been asked any RA questions, I should point out that I am a part-timer and I have been working here for almost six months.

Assignment 3:

I chose from the Amazon Best of the Month page a novel entitled Everyone Brave is Forgiven by Chris Cleave. I would sell this book by telling readers that it is similar to the bestseller All the Light We Cannot See by Anthony Doerr. Both are works of historical fiction taking in place in Europe during WWII. Both also focuses on characters' plights and reactions to dramatic events that took place during the war: the Nazi occupation of France and the London Blitz. This title would appeal to readers who like fast-paced, suspenseful historical fiction, with strong characterizations and realistic descriptions of the events.The descriptions of locales makes the setting of both these novels very inviting despite the harrowing events that take place within them. 

No comments:

Post a Comment