Thursday, May 19, 2016

Week Four: Building Base Knowledge

I started using Goodreads a number of years ago on the suggestion of a friend, but so many life events got in the way (read: video games) that I stopped using it. I decided to take up the Goodreads Reading Challenge in 2015 in which members set a goal of a number of books to be read within a year. I made my goal of 25 books, and, after a shaky start, I completed the challenge. I took up the challenge again this year, which keeps me a bit more active on the site. I using Goodreads to track which books I've read, and which books I plan to read.

As a side note, I read a juvenile book for my job, and I rated it in Goodreads. Now I don't generally read juvenile or YA fiction, and I also like graphic novels. To my dismay, Goodreads, in its wisdom, combined the two and recommended that I read The Life and Times of Scrooge McDuck, volumes 1 and 2.
Though I have nothing against wealthy waterfowl, Click! Not interested. And I also deleted the juvenile book from my Read shelf. Problem solved.
















For this week's assignment, I recommended And the Mountains Echoed by Khalid Hosseini
 to a colleague because she had read The Kite Runner by the same author.
















And I also recommended The Greatest of Marlys by Lynda Barry to another colleague because she liked Fun Home and she likes books with quirky humor.




No comments:

Post a Comment