Tuesday, June 21, 2016

Week 7: Not Just for Teens

Assignment 2: My thoughts about the articles content: When the Harry Potter and Twilight publication juggernauts dominated American culture, I was surprised that numerous media outlets reported on the amount of adults reading those and other juvenile and YA books. My surprise continued as these types of reports morphed into mainstream adult publications with an adult regularly featuring articles and reviews of juvenile and YA titles. There are offshoots of this phenom: Adult coloring books.









Movies based on comic books. The juvenilization of adulthood is nearing completion, or so it seems. I understand that some of these books, movies, videogames, comics, etc. can be entertaining, and perhaps even have some depth. Well, call me a grouchy old cuss, if you must, but I cannot stop myself from judging people who like to read YA novels. I do attempt to curtail my judgement about all this by reminding myself that this is America. Adults can read or view whatever they choose. Full disclosure: I've watched Captain America  and X-Men movies in the past, up to Winter Soldier and Days of Future Past respectively. I bought a Playstation 3 when it was released, and I religiously played COD, Uncharted, and Bioshock.





Now, I'm both bored and weary of these two activities, and I find myself able to resist the unrelenting hype that comes  with each new release.

Nevertheless, I have to admit I find the adults-liking-kids-stuff somewhat disturbing. Adults seeking out juvenile/YA lit, and not only that, but being proud to do so seems...um, abnormal.










When I hear adults having discourse on cosplay or video games, or talking about Captain America: Civil War as if they were discussing the Malick ouevre
, my patience wears thin.

Maybe I am old-fashioned, but I thought adults were supposed to pursue adult things, not starting reading fiction that is aimed at undeveloped minds...minds that are trying to figure out the world in which we live in. Adults are supposed to help guide them, not join book clubs to discuss A Shade of Vampire.








We don't live in an easy world, and we all have to find ways to cope, but regressing to childish activities? And defiantly proud of it? I don't get it. I don't want to get it. I think I'll sit over here and read my book. An adult wrote it. For adults.

Assignment 3: So! Here are my observations of two YA-centric websites.

Forever Young Adult: For women in their 20s who like to read and drink and don't know who Maureen O'Hara is. .

Squeetus Blog: Oh good god. I can't. I just can't.













Assignment 4: The trends I see, by way of these publishers' websites, is more of the same: Doomed teen stories for a good cry. Fantastic epics. Sci-fi. And realism, with teens coping with dysfunctional families, or death, or the trauma of surviving high school. The gadgets may change, but the stories remain basic, because, I feel teens go through the same drama as I did when I was a kid, but without so many monitors at our disposal. I do know where I will head, though, if I get an RA question about teen lit.


No comments:

Post a Comment